As we all know Taro Root or Kesuvina gadde(ಕೆಸುವಿನಗಡ್ಡೆ) is a root vegetable which can be used in
varieties of dishes. Some of the varieties of Toro roots grow back-home cause itchiness when you touch them so there is a practice of cooking them in Tamarind water and thats the only solution as I know, there could be other ways too not sure. I think the variety which we get here in Toronto are not itchy, but to be on the safer side I cook them in Tamarind water.
As you have seen I love to share quick, easy yet delicious recipes, it is one of them!!. This is one of the fine havyaka recipes handed down from my Mom. Give it a try and let me know how it turned out. I m sure you will love it. Enjoy.
Preparation time : 20-25 min
Servings : 2
- 2 meduim size Taro Roots
- 1/2 Lemon size Tamarind
- 2 tbsp grated Coconut
- 1 small Onion Chopped
- 2 cups Yoghurt / Curd
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seed
- 2 broken Red chillies
- Pressure cook the Taro roots with Tamarind. 1 whistle should be enough. If you dont want to pressure it takes about 30-40 min to get soften.
- In the mean while grind the coconut into fine paste with little water .
- Once the pressure cooker is cooled down, peel the Taro, cut into bit size pieces.
- Then mix the Toro with ground Coconut, Yoghurt, chopped Onion and salt.
- Then temper with mustard and red chillies (heat oil in a pan, add mustard and broken red chillies. Mix with Taro-Coconut-Yoghurt mixture)
- Serve with steamed rice or any other coloured rice.