- 1 cup Split Moong / HesarubeLe
- 3 cups Milk OR fresh Coconut Milk( see the note)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp freshly crushed Cardamom
- 5-6 strands Saffron soaked in 2 tsp of milk for 10 min
- Cashew and raisin as much as you like
- 1 tsp ghee /clarified butter.
- pinch of salt
- Wash the Split moong and add about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of water and pressure cook( 3 whistles).
- Then mix the sugar and cook until sugar melts. Add pich of salt.
- Now pour the Milk / Coconut Milk( u can add milk according to the consistency you want). Boil for about 5 min. Keep stirring.
- Add crushed Cardamom and Saffron. Mix well and cook for 2 min.
- Heat the ghee in a pan, add Cashew and Raisin, fry for a min. Then add to the payasa.
- Serve hot or cold.
Note: If you like to use fresh coconut milk, grind about 2 1/2 cups of freshly grated coconut with some water, strain it and use.If you add the more water by mistake, don't be panic, just mix 1 tsp of rice flour in 2 tbsp of milk and add it while adding Milk / Coconut Milk..