This is one of the fav dishes of my hubby. This is a very easy dish and a real treat for Bitter Gourd lovers. I had lerant this recipe from my aunt Sowmya Bhat but, I am posting here with minute changes. Give it a try, I am sure you will really like it. Have fun..
Preparation time: 40 min.
- 4 medium size Bitter Gourd
- 1/3 cup Jaggery ( to taste, u can reduce it to 1/4cup if u like)
- 1/4 cup thick Tamarind Juice
- 1/4 cup split yellow peas/ gram dal
- 1/4 cup washed Black Gram dal
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin / Jeera
- 3-4 whole red Chilies or 1 tsp red Chili powder
- 1/4 cup grated dry coconut ( Kobbari)
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- pinch of Hing/ asafoetida
- 2-3 green Chilies sliced
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- Wash and remove the seeds from Bitter Gourd and finely chop and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, once you hear the spluttering sound, add all remaining tempering ingredients. Saute for few seconds.
- Then add Chopped Bitter Gourd. Fry until tender( as you can see in the pic) on a low to medium flame. It takes about 15-20 mins.
- In the mean while, dry roast gram dal. washed Gram dal, coriander seeds, Cumin seeds and Red Chilies. Allow to cool and coarsely grind it in a blender.
- Once the Bitter Gourd is tender add Jaggary ,Tamarind juice and Salt to taste. Mix well and saute well for few sec.
- Now add the coarsely ground spices and mix well. Saute for another 5 min in a low to medium flame.
- Finish of with Coconut.. I forgot to add coconut!!.
- Serve with hot plain rice and spoon of Ghee or Coconut Oil.