KaLale / Bamboo shoot is a well known veg in Coastal and Malenaadu ( hilly region) region of Karnataka. This special veg is available only in rainy season. Usually, freshly harvested Bamboo shoot is cleaned and chopped in the way we want, then soaked in water for min of 3 days changing water everyday. We can use it only after 3 days if soaking else it tastes bitter. I really love chopping freshly harvested Bamboo shoots :)..Here in Toronto, Bamboo shoots is available in Chinees grocery shop and it comes in tin. I was so surprised and happy when I saw first time here. Bamboo shoot curry goes very well with Rice and Chapati. Give it a try and let me know how u liked it. Have fun.
Preparation time: 30 min
- 1small tin shredded or Cubed KaLale / Bamboo shoot
- 1/2 cup Toor dal / Split pigeon Pea cooked
- 1/2 cup grated Coconut
- 1/4 lemon size Tamarind
- 3-4 whole red Chilies
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 Cumin / Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seed / Methi seed
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Pinch of Hing / Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- Few Curry leaves
- Cook the KaLale in about a litre of water for 10 min and drain out the water.
- Keep the toor dal cooked ready.
- Dry roast the Coriander seed, Cumin, Methi and red Chilies together( u can even use 3-4 drops of Oil while frying).
- Now grind the roasted spices with Coconut, Hing, Tamarind , Turmeric powder and about half cup of water into a fine paste.
- Now mix the ground mixture, Toor dal, KaLale and salt to taste. Then boil on a low to medium heat for 10 min.
- Temper with Mustard seeds and Curry leaves.
- Serve hot with hot Rice :).