This is a very rare and old recipe handed down from my great grandmother. Even my grand mothers and Mom cook using this recipe. I think 20 years ago, none of my family members including me (none of the families at my place) knew about any other Uddina Vades. I named this dish as Old Style Vade. Because, its one of the special Old recipes and we shouldn't get confused with any other Vades. Give it a try, its very easy to prepare and you will definitely like it. you can have it either for breakfast or snacks. Enjoy. Do not forget to tell how it turned out.
Preparation Time: 1.5 hrs for soaking
30 min for other preparation and deep frying.
- 1 Cup Urid / black gram dal
- 1.5 cups small Rave / suji/ samolina ( or as required)
- 3-4 Red Chilies
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Jeera / Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Hing / Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Deep frying
- Soak the Urid dal in water for 2-3 hours. ( I usually soak in hot water for 1.5 hrs, so that it doesnt take much time).
- Then finely grind with Coriander, Cumin seeds, Hing and red Chilies using very little water. ( should be thicker than Idly Batter).
- Now add the Rave / Samolina little by little, salt and mix well to make a thick dough. We should be able to make small balls out of the dough.
- In the mean while heat the Oil.
- Take a thinck polythene or wax paper or alluminium foil ( u can use Banana leaf either), smear some Oil.
- Take some dough, make a small ball and pat thick on smeared sheet. Do not pat it very thin.
- And deep fry on a medium heat. Gently press the Vada's with a laddle while deep frying. It helps vada to puffs out.
- Serve hot with any sambar or red chutney.
Note: I mentioned quantity of Rava / Samolina as ' as required'. Because, It is depending on how much water you add while grinding. If you add more water by mistake do not be panic, just add more Rava and mix into thick dough.