- 5-6 baby Eggplants/Brinjal
- 1/2 bowl grated Coconut
- 4-5 Red chillies
- 2 tsp Coriender seeds
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 3/4 tsp Black gram dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 small Onion chopped
- pinch of Asafoetida/hing
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Termeric powder
- 3 tsp Tamarind juice
- 5 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast the Red chillies,Coriender seeds, cumin, Chana dal,Black gram dal,Onion and the garlic.
- Grind roasted spices with grated Coconut and Tamerind juice into thick paste( chatney consistancy) add salt to taste.
- Slice the Eggplants vertically from the top,turn half way around and slice again without separating form the hull.
- Stuff the Eggplants with masala.
- Heat the Oil in a heavey pan, add Mustard seeds, Asafoetida and Termeric powder.
- Then put Stuffed Eggplants.Fry them for 5-6 min, then add remaining masala.Add little water if necessory.Adjust the salt to taste.
- Cover and cook until Eggplants are soft on medium heat.
- Serve with Jolada Rotti ( goes well with Chapathi and rice as well)