Is there any Indian who doesn't know about great Mango Pickle ? This is the greatest recipe I ever learnt from my mom in law, of course she is a great cook and I need to learn a lot of recipes from her especially Hoilige and Midi Uppinakaayi( Tender Mango Pickle) etc. Its a quite time consuming recipe, but you will deffinetly feel great when its done. I prepared it twice. It has come out really well both the times. Try it out if you want to graduate as a Cook! Nah kidding .. Enjoy....
- 5 medium size raw Magoes cut into small cubes
- 4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp of Cumin seeds
- 1/2tsp black Pepper Corns(kaalumenasu)
- 1/2 tsp methi/Fenugreek seeds.
- 4-5 tsp red Chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- Dry roast the Mustardseeds and Cumin seeds until they start spluttering,black Pepper corns for 1-2 min and Fenugreek seeds until they become light brown.Roast all the spices separately, make sure spices do not burn.
- Allow to cool for 10 min then make fine powder out of it.
- Dry roast the salt for 3-4 mins
- Mix the cut Mango with spices, red Chilli powder and roasted salt( aproximately 4-5 tbs).
- Then transfer into a dry air tight jar.
- Keep tilting the jar once a day for 4-5 days.
- After 4-5 days temper the pickle with Mustard seeds and Asafoetida. Mix well.
- Adjust the salt if necessory.
Mango with all spices
Note:All the utensils using for the preparation should be well dried including hands. You can make the pickle spices in bulk and store in a air tight jar so that you do not have to dry roast all the spices every time.You can make Lemon pickle in the same way using same pickle spices.