This is one of the delicious mid afternoon snacks, of course you can have any time..Having Bonda with a cup of Coffee or Tea on a rainy day is a great pleasure.However for this great snack, stuffing is purely of your choice.You can use any of your favourite vegetables, but make sure you use Potato also as it helps in binding.Give it a try...Enjoy....
- 1 loaf white sandwich Bread
- 4-5 medium Potatoes boiled or presser cooked
- 2 medium Onions chopped
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 3-4 green Chilies( as per taste)
- 1 spring Curry leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp Black Gram dall / Urid dall
- 1 tsp yellow split Peas/ Channa dall
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp Lime juice
- Oil for deep frying.
- Heat 2-3 tsp Oil in a pan.Add the Mustard seeds, once the musturd seeds are popped off add the Urid dall, Channa dall, chopped green Chilies, saute for 30 -40 secs then add Curry leaves and Turmeric powder.
- Then add the chopped Onion and saute for 1-2 mins ( until transparent).
- Peel the cooked Potatoes and mash then mix with above mixture.
- Now add Garam masala powder and salt to taste mix well on a medium heat.Do not add water.
- Keep mixing the mixture for 3-4 min on low to medium heat.
- Finally add Lime juice and mix again. Allow to cool for 3-4 min.
- Make medium size balls out of the mixture.Now the stuffing is ready.
Now the big part ;)
- Heat Oil in a pan for deep frying..
- Cut all 4 edges of the Bread slices and keep them ready.
- Take water in a wide bowl, just dip the bread slice in water and quickly squeeze out the water with the help of your palms.Do not leave the bread slice in water for more than 6-7 secs.
- Now place the stuffing( potato balls) in the middle of the Bread slice and gently press to cover the stuffing.Make a smooth ball.Do not leave any gap.Use your both hands else you can't make smooth balls.
- Then deep fry on a medium heat until colour changes to brown as you see in the pic.
- Now serve hot hot with Tomato ketchup or Chutney of your choice.( Coconut chutney is preferred).
Note:Frying is more important, do not leave any white patches on the Bonda, which result in smoothing.