This is a very rare and old recipe handed down from my great grandmother. She used to cook this awesome ( of course she was a great cook). Even my grandmother (s) cook/s using this recipe. Its use has almost but disappeared from daily use. I gave it a try, and have come closer to how my great grand mother used cook. Give this rare recipe a try and let me know how you like it.
- 1/2 kg Ash Gourd cut into pieces
- 5-6 tsp Jaggary
- 1/2 bowl grated Coconut
- 3-4 green Chillies
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 1 cup Butter milk
- 1 tsp rice Flour
- Salt to taste
- Cook the chopped Ash Gourd in some water with Jagery and salt till becomes soft.
- Roast the Coriender seeds, Cunin seeds, green Chilles and Fenugreek seeds with 1/2 tsp Oil till colour of the Funugreek seeds change to gloden brown.
- Then grind with Coconut, 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds,Turmeric powder, Rice flour and some water.
- Then add to Cooked Ash Gourd and Boil for 4-5 min.Adjust the salt if needed.
- Add Butter Milk and just bring to boil.
- Temper with Mustered seeds and Curry leaves.
- Serve hot with Rice.