I learnt this recipe from my Aunt Sowmya Bhat.
- 300 gm Chopped(1 inch in length) Okra/ladies fingers/Bendekaayi
- Tamarind medium Lemon size
- 5-6 tsp Jggeri( depending on your taste)
- 4-5 tsp grated Coconut
- Pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
- Pinch of Turmeric powder
- One and a half tsp Urid/black gram dall
- 3/4 tsp Fenugreek/Methi seeds
- 3-4 Red Chiiels or 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat the Oil in a pan, add the Mustard seeds,Hing and Turmeric powder.
- Add the chopped Ladies Fingers and saute for 10 min.
- In the mean while soak Tamrind and extract the juice.
- Ater 10 min of sauting add the Tamarind Juice, Jaggery and salt.cook for 5 min.
- Dry roast the Black gram dal, Fenugreek seeds and the Red chillies.( Do not have to roast the Chilli powder if you are using it)
- Grind the roasted spices with coconut and little water and add.
- Cook for 5 min.
- Serve hot with Chapathi or Rice.