- Bowl full or 250gms of peeled and chopped Budugumbala Kayi / Ash gourd
- 4-5 tbsp grated Coconut
- 3-4 Green Chillies( or as per your taste)
- One tbsp Channa Dall ( soaked in water for 3-4 hours)
- Piece of Ginger
- One tsp Jaggery (optional)
- Pinch of Hing/ Asafoetida
- 1/4 tbsp Mustered
- 1/4th tbsp Turmeric powder
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- Bowl full (medium size) of butter milk or churned yogurt
- 2 tbsp of Tamarind juice
- 1/4th tbsp of oil
- salt to taste
Cook peeled and chopped Budugumbala kai in water with ½ tsp of salt and Jaggery (do not pressure cook).
- Grind the Coconut, Green chillies, soaked Channa dal, Ginger, Asafoetida, 1/4th tsp of Mustered,Turmeric powder with little water.
- Mix cooked Budugumbala kayi, masala, Tamarind juice and boil it for 4-5 mins.
- Add butter milk and salt. Then just bring to boil. Heat half tsp of oil, splutter Mustered and add curry leaves then pour it over the Huli. Majjige Huli is ready. Serve with Rice.
Note: Majjige Huli can be prepared from Zucchini and Cucumber as well.
If you wish to prepare little more thicker Huli you can add a tsp of soaked rice while grinding the masala.